It may not be so romantic to feel a fluttering in your heart.
Your heart is skipping a beat. It's racing out of control. It's fluttering like the wings of a butterfly. This could be the beginning of a romance novel, or you may be experiencing the signs of a cardiac arrhythmia, a condition that simply means an irregular heartbeat. Not every case is serious, but they should all be monitored. If ignored, it could develop into a potentially fatal situation. Aside from obvious changes in the heartbeat, watch out for these warning signs:
- Weakness – If your muscles seem to be losing strength, an irregularity in your cardiovascular system could be to blame.
- Dizzy spells – Any obstacle in blood circulation can make you feel lightheaded, sometimes even resulting in fainting incidents.
- Excessive or unexplained sweating – If you're sweating even when you're in moderate or cold temperatures, you need to find out why.
- Chest pains – This could be a mild discomfort or pressure, or a strong pain.
- Difficulties breathing – Feel like you're not getting enough air? Seek medical help immediately.
- Anxiety – Even when an arrhythmia isn't creating any physical signs, it can affect your mood. Patients most commonly struggle with an anxiety about something they can't place their finger on.
If you've experienced the above symptoms, it's time to get checked out by a trusted cardiologist. Stop by our website for more information about our arrhythmia center. For a free physician referral, call our Consult-a-Nurse® service at 1-888-741-5119.