A prediabetes diagnosis is not set in stone.
Has your latest check-up resulted in a prediabetes diagnosis? Don't start feeling sorry for yourself! It's too early to accept your fate. With the right lifestyle changes and prevention methods, you can keep yourself from a full-blown case of type 2 diabetes. These five tips could turn you around and get you back on the road to good health.
- Work toward a healthy BMI. Obesity is one of the top risk factors for diabetes. If you've been diagnosed with prediabetes, weight loss should be your top priority. If exercise and diet aren't working, talk to your doctor about how you can shed those pounds safely and effectively.
- Start a consistent exercise routine. An active lifestyle is important, even if you are not overweight. Just going on a walk everyday could vastly improve your chances of a prediabetes reversal.
- Cut out common culprits from your diet. The foods you eat have a large impact on your health, including your likelihood of developing a full-blown case of diabetes. Avoid beef, simple carbohydrates, and refined sugars. Drink alcohol only in moderation.
- Choose the right foods. Your best kitchen staples include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish, flax seeds, and walnuts.
- Count your calories. No matter what you're eating, you can get too much of it. Track your calories to make sure you're staying in a healthy range.
If you have any further questions about prediabetes, or you need a physician referral, give our free Consult-a-Nurse® service a call at 1-888-741-5119. Our lines are open 24/7.