Enjoy your golden years by living a healthy lifestyle.
As you age, your body changes and needs more attention. Maybe now you'll need to exercise just to keep your joints limber, and the fast food diet you enjoyed years ago with no repercussions could be detrimental in your later years.
Maintain good health and age well with exercise, nutrition, and good habits.
Engaging in physical activity provides a wealth of benefits from keeping your weight in check to improving your balance.
You can benefit even more if you participate in all the following types of exercise:
- Aerobic – exercise that increases your breath and heart rate, like jogging or brisk walking
- Strength training – lifting weights or using resistance bands
- Balance exercises – helps prevent falls
- Flexibility exercises – stretching activities to remain limber
Eating a balanced and healthy diet reduces your risk for medical conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and osteoporosis. Choose a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and fiber. You should also:
- Avoid junk food like chips, cookies, and soda which are high in calories but lack nutrients.
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Choose foods that are low in fat and cholesterol.
Taking responsibility for your health is a key factor in healthy aging. Be proactive and get regular medical check-ups. You should also:
- Stop smoking.
- Engage in activities and visit with friends and family to ward off depression.
- Get enough sleep.
If you have questions about maintaining a healthy lifestyle as you age and would like to speak to a doctor, Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point can help. Call our free Consult-A-Nurse® service at 1-888-741-5119 for a physician referral or to set up an appointment.