Swimming isn’t just fun for kids; it’s a great form of exercise for everyone.
As summer arrives, the stores set out swimsuits, towels, and sunscreen. A dip in the pool, ocean, or lake can make any hot day much more comfortable. Swimming is not just a fun activity. There are numerous benefits to using swimming as exercise.
- No impact on the skeletal system: as you submerge your body, you become up to 90% weightless.
- It offers the safest exercise for sore muscles, joints, and arthritis.
- Water resistance is 12 times stronger than air, working out your muscles more than running on land.
- Muscle strength and tone are drastically improved through swimming.
- Bone strength improves, especially for women.
- Swimming works a broad range of joints and ligaments instead of just one like a machine at the gym.
- You work out all parts of your body at once.
- As you stroke, you are giving your body a good stretch.
- You can stretch in to the pool to increase your flexibility to a greater degree than you can achieve on land.
- You can maintain a stretch for a good long time; even those that might make you lose your balance on land.
- The heart is strengthened and becomes more efficient at pumping blood.
- Inflammation is reduced which can decrease your risk for heart disease.
- Swimming is one of the best calorie burning workouts and can help with weight loss and control.
- Asthma sufferers can work out in comfort in the moist air, and regular swimming can actually improve asthma symptoms.
- Lung volume can increase through proper breathing techniques.
- Your cholesterol levels will be in better balance.
- The risk for diabetes is lowered.
- Studies have shown that regular swimmers tend to live longer than those who exercised on land.
- Your stress level will be lower and your happiness factor will increase as endorphins are released.
- The elderly will especially benefit from swimming.
- And of course, swimming is just plain fun!
Regional Medical Center urges you to get outside and swim, or even find a gym with an indoor pool to get the best workout available. You can improve your health in many ways while having fun. Learn more about the benefits of swimming in our online health library. And always remember to follow water safety precautions.