I’m too busy. I don’t have the time. My schedule is packed. Many Americans make these same excuses about their lack of exercise and unhealthy lifestyle. There are many ways you can fit healthier life choices into your already jam-packed schedule. With just a few adjustments to your day, you can be feeling fitter and looking better than you ever have before. Check out these tips:
1. Take the stairs. If you work up in the penthouse of your office building, climbing 20 plus flights of stairs can be daunting. Start small. Take the stairs up a few floors then climb on the elevator. Do the same thing at the end of the day. Increase your stair walking each week. You’ll feel more energized to start your day and have a real sense of accomplishment on your way home.
2. Park in the back. Even if you don’t drive a luxury car, you can act like you do. Park your car in the back of the lot to keep it safe from door dings and runaway shopping carts. Walk the full parking lot to the mall, grocery store, or other destination. This mini-workout will leave you feeling fit and fabulous.
3. Pack your lunch. Many lunch outings with co-workers lead to greasy spoons, fast food, or salty delivery. Do your stomach a favor and bring your own healthy lunch to work. You can make a big batch of healthy food over the weekend or mix it up each day. Consider bringing healthy soup you can heat up quickly. Low-fat yogurt makes a great treat for in between meals. A whole grain wrap with plenty of veggies, or a salad chock full of beans, fruits, and nuts are also healthy options. Be sure to eat breakfast as well. If your body doesn’t get fed in the morning, it may go into protective mode, causing you to actually pack on more pounds instead of lose them.
4. Work out at work. Many Americans spend their days at a desk staring at a computer screen. Make the most of your time in a chair by doing simple exercises. You can do a variety of leg lifting exercises. Take a 60-second break to do some jumping jacks or lunges. Get a group of co-workers together for a daily walk instead of a coffee break. When you need to communicate with a co-worker, walk over instead of using e-mail. Even your trips to the printer and fax machine can be a good workout if you jog or take the long way around.
5. Family fun time. Spending time with your family is something you do on a daily basis, but you can make that time more meaningful. Instead of a movie or sit-down board game, get outside and play a family game of basketball, go for a bike ride, nature walk, or just play tag. When the weather keeps you inside, take advantage of the latest interactive video games and challenge each other to an action-packed competition that requires you to jump up and move around.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point wants to challenge you to live a healthier life wherever you can fit it in. If you have other questions about your health and wellness, call our free Consult-A-Nurse service today at 1-888-741-5119.